Saturday, October 18, 2008

Repbulicanism and the "Obama Flag"




Over the last few months, I've realized that thus far I've led a politically insular life. I grew up in a very liberal and racially diverse part of Connecticut with parents who never really discussed politics. After graduation, I went to a small female liberal arts college in the Pioneer Valley in Massachusetts. In a school of 2700, the Republican Club had 15 members. In a poll taken in my first year, less than 1% of the student body called themselves "Republicans." In this environment, I never really considered myself very liberal. There are people I know who are much much more liberal I am...but then came the stark realization of the world outside the northeast.

"Fly over states" - everyone has heard that term, either said in a derisive or joking manner, it's a term that's thrown around a lot during election years. But now, with the invention and proliferation of the internet, the people in the fly over states are finding their voices. Voting for Republican candidates because they share your religious ideology, even if, under their plan, you can't pay for health insurance, is a mindset that I can't understand, but I'm striving to.

Consequently, I try to expose myself to conservative viewpoints. I read the Wall Street Journal, I seek out conservative blogs, I watch FoxNews, and truly, some of what's being said makes sense. There are reasoned conservatives, just as there are reasoned liberals. But then, there are those whose viewpoints I just can't fathom.

That's a long introduction to say that I go out of my way to read Michelle Malkin, but I think it's an important bit of background. This tiny article stunned me because of the comments left by Malkin's readers.

"Of course that’s not Obama’s flag; his has a field of lighter blue and the golden Obama egg about to hatch. His secret flag is white on one side and black on the other. /s.

Anyone notice that there were no black people in Obama’s economic commercial that ran about every other break all weekend? (Note to trolls: my noticing it make me observant; not a rascist.) But then again, the market I live in is fly-over country. I wonder what color the folks were in more diverse areas (if he bothered)."

Secret flag? Honestly, I don't know if I understand what that comment is about.

Look back 10 months - what was FoxNews saying about McCain's campaign?



Conservatives against McCain - is that why McCain choose Palin, a true, dyed in the wool conservative? Palin checks every box on the right, even on some issues which John McCain does not.

2 comments:

Hockanum Monitor said...

On the issue of illegal aliens crossing the border from Mexico into the United States--I spent a week this past summer down along the border in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. The enormous expanses of hot, shadeless desert are beyond belief. I cannot image anyone surviving a walk from the border to anything even remotely considered civilization. The area directly north of El Paso, for instance, is uninhabited for a good one hundred miles. So stark is this landscape, that the Border Patrol checkpoint through which every vehicle must pass is forty miles north of the border. My point is, if Mexican people are willing to make the crossing in Northern Texas, New Mexico or Arizona, then God bless them. Crossing that area on foot should automatically qualify a person for citizenship.

Caroline Blogs said...

Certainly, immigration is an issue I feel strongly about. America is a country founded on immigrants. My great grandparents were immigrants - what would have happened to them if they had been turned away?